vendredi 3 juillet 2015

when testing production environment continuously makes sense

Let's say I have a bunch of unit tests, integration tests, and e2e tests that cover my app. Does it make sense to have these continuously running against prod, e.g. every 10 mins?

I'm thinking no, here's why: My tests are already ran after every prod deploy. If they passed and no code has changed after that, they should continue to pass. So testing them thereafter doesn't make sense.

What I really want to test continuously is my infrastructure -- is it still running? In this case, running an API integration test every 10 mins to check if my API is still working makes sense. So I'm dealing with a subset of my test suites -- the ones that test my infrastructure availability (integration+e2e) versus only single bits of code (unit test). So in practice, would I have seperate test suites that test prod uptime than the suites used to test pre/post deploy?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire