mardi 31 janvier 2017

Should I keep testing code or implement more functionality?

I have a side project that I love to code, I spend time with it when I can, since I'm still finishing my university studies. When I started it, I barely knew good programming practices and TDD among other things, I only coded it for fun.

Several iterations, refactors, improvements, and accumulated knowledge after, brought me to write unit tests and integration tests I could, before implementing new functionalities. However, I still don't have enough time to really do all the tests in order to have an acceptable code coverage... although the software works good.

So when I have time to spend in this project, I want to implement new functionalities (this time yes, doing the unit tests in parallel) not doing a lot of tests that, have to say are very boring, and many of them hard to do because of mocking and stuff...

Should I keep adding functionality or should I finish all the tests before?

I determined by this that the software should be in beta version until a reasonable code coverage is reached. At this time it's on version 0.9-beta.

If I add new functionality, should I follow the semantic version keeping the beta? For example, being the next iterations 0.10-beta, 0.11-beta and so on until the tests are done, when finally it would turn to non-beta versions.

If you want to check my project, here is the link: http://ift.tt/2jyqIO8

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire