mardi 26 septembre 2017

When to retest my javascript

I've run into an interesting situation where I took the accepted solution to this question about how to center a popup window and it worked great. I heavily tested it at the time in all versions of IE (utilizing simulation mode) that my clients were currently using without issue. Satisfied with the result, we put the update to our software in a queue for deployment.

NOTE: This question is not about centering a popup window

Couple months later, time for deployment and it all of sudden was not working in the most current version of IE (I believe there was an update to IE on our network since the testing). The popup window was now being positioned off the visible screen. To quickly correct this for deployment, I had to hard code the top and left values to buy me the time I need to troubleshoot the issue.

This peculiar behavior has me wondering a few things about this one topic.

Should I be retesting my javascript code every time a relevant browser is updated? Does anyone here already do this? And perhaps follow some kind of standard they can share?

It would be really cumbersome to go back and retest the already tried and true javascript in our software, but it could be more trouble for me if something just stops working.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire