lundi 28 octobre 2019

Java: How to unit test a method that calls Elasticsearch?

I am very new to unit testing using mocks.

So, I have a java method that build search request and call elasticsearch to do the searching. I am not sure how to unit test this method. In the code below should I mock "client.search()"? I think I should not because the result of client.search() is dependant on my code (the parameters I provide to it). So, I should not mock the output of client.search(), right?

How should I proceed with unit testing my method? Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

public SearchResponse doV1Search(SearchRequestV1 searchRequestBody) throws IOException {
   Date startDate = Date.from(searchRequestBody.getRange().getStartTime());
   Date endDate = Date.from(searchRequestBody.getRange().getEndTime());
   int size = ELASTICSEARCH_MAX_RECORDS_PER_RESPONSE;
   int from = 0;

   if (searchRequestBody.getMeta() != null) {
     if (searchRequestBody.getMeta().getSize() != null
       && searchRequestBody.getMeta().getSize() != 0
       && searchRequestBody.getMeta().getSize() <= ELASTICSEARCH_MAX_RECORDS_PER_RESPONSE) {
       size = Math.toIntExact(searchRequestBody.getMeta().getSize());
     }
     if (searchRequestBody.getMeta().getFrom() != null) {
       from = Math.toIntExact(searchRequestBody.getMeta().getFrom());
     }
   }

   SearchSourceBuilder searchSourceBuilder = new SearchSourceBuilder();
   searchSourceBuilder.from(from);
   searchSourceBuilder.size(size);
   searchSourceBuilder.sort(new FieldSortBuilder("creationTimestamp").order(SortOrder.DESC));
   searchSourceBuilder.query(
     buildQuery(
       startDate,
       endDate,
       ModelMappings.convertV1SearchRequestFieldsToV3(searchRequestBody.getFields())
     )
   );

   SearchRequest searchRequest = new SearchRequest(buildValidIndicesFromDateRange(startDate, endDate));
   searchRequest.indicesOptions(IndicesOptions.LENIENT_EXPAND_OPEN);
   searchRequest.source(searchSourceBuilder);
   return client.search(searchRequest, RequestOptions.DEFAULT);
 }

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire