mardi 29 septembre 2020

What are good strategies for testing connections from the perspective of a geographically distant user?

I have a site that is hosted in the Eastern US and has users in East Asia. We're adding some interactive features to the site that require a round trip to the server and I'm concerned about latency impacting the global users' experience. What's a good way to test a site from the perspective of someone with reliable internet that just happens to be located far away from your server?

I've experimented with the throttling settings in the browser dev tools but it's hard to know where to set things. VPNs or ssh tunnels seem like they'd be more realistic but then I'm essentially doubling the distance so maybe I should pick a location halfway?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire